Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

SimLab Soft dynamic Link

dan_engererdan_engerer Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
Hi. I finally found the one app that can simulate mechanisms made in Onshape (thank God).

I need to be able to make minor tweaks as simulations or renders are performed and not have to start my entire simulation or render set up from scratch every time a change is made. I know that Sim lab can establish a dynamic link between some software is but I can't find out how to do it with Onshape.

Does anyone know how to set up this dynamic link so that geometry can be easily updated without  having to re-import and thus start from zero again? This is an absolutely critical functionality that needs to be in place for this software to be useful to any serious designer. 

Answers

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I hope someday we could render & simulate inside Onshape without exporting anything..
    //rami
  • Options
    dan_engererdan_engerer Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    Same here. I'm a little dissapointed with the lack of built in function. It was advertised as a Solidworks killer. My salesman was very fast-paced and was very assuring, "yes, yes, yes, but you have to buy right away!". Shame on me for not taking my time.

I've had to really dig deep to find that functionality. Thankfully, I have, but it can be really inconvenient to use all of these 3rd party apps. 
  • Options
    colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    Onshape is a LONG way away from being a solidworks killer....as you are finding out @dan_engerer.

The nice thing about the subscription model is you can cancel at anytime if you are unhappy.  

• Options
    malay_kumarmalay_kumar Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 93
    There is also now a connection to "Simscape Multibody" in app store which allows to import assembly with mates in Mathworks tool set. 
  • Options
    @coleman
    For me it was solid works killer from day one - the only cad that allows me to use multiple simultaneous computers with single license. And has multipart sketches. And doesn't require pruchase. And..

It depends what you need, but I agree that it is not sw killer with amount of features..

@dan_engerer
    I'm not that fascinated of 3rd party apps either - I would like to enjoy Onshape's power and ease of use with rendering, simulating, assembly animations, bom and drawings too. Drawing's got many improvements along time but still it doesn't feel like natural part of package. Open bom is young and promising but has long way to go especially with speed/performance.

And if I use regularly say 5-10 apps and they all update different time, they all send me emails of great things happening - when can I work? I like new things but also apps should be included in 3 week update interval. I wouldn't even mind if it was extended into 1 month so that new features appear 15th of each month or so..
    //rami
  • Options
    colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    @3dcad
    I agree with you.  I think the problem is when the sales team oversells the product as it is today.  Obviously @dan_engerer thought he was getting more than he actually is and has buyers remorse. 
    When I spoke to a sales person on day 1 of public beta, I was told onshape can do 95% of what solidworks can.  Thats a pretty slippery slope.

I suppose a Ford Taurus can do 99% of what a Mercedes can.     

Personally, choosing between solidworks and onshape- I would choose onshape over solidworks. 

If you compare the features of solidworks and onshape side by side.....it is a mischaracterization to call onshape a solidworks killer.  

• Options
    coleman said:

I suppose a Ford Taurus can do 99% of what a Mercedes can.    

Wow, I need to try one of those ;)

I think Onshape and their marketing should stick to the plan of just being awesome and not aim to kill anything.. I personally hate those calls (from any company) where sales person speaks very fast and uses my first name and learned phrases and tries to push me into making fast decision.. luckily I found Onshape before sales found me.
    //rami