Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Material and Specific Gravity Choices

spiritriderspiritrider Member, csevp Posts: 30 PRO
edited February 2017 in General
Instead of having a ton of different materials to have a database list, I would like to have the ability to enter my own specific gravity value. I work in Plastics, and with thousands of different resins to choose from, it would be much easier if I could just plug in my own specific gravity value and get the part weight I am looking for. It would save a lot of materials to list and I would think people could figure out, by going to Google, what the specific gravity of a material is, and plug it in.  I know this is not earth shattering, but very helpful when in the quoting process for projects.

Answers

• Options
    General
  • Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    @ spiritrider , You can also type the material name in the list and get the required one.

• Options
    I do a lot of plastic product design, and with over 3,000 different materials, you can possibly cover the amount of specific gravity of that many resins. I would like to create my own specific gravity setting. It is not important to save it, just being able to enter in a value is enough for me.
  • Options
    There are hundreds of specific gravity values with various materials, sometime being close is not close enough.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    You should consider making this post in Improvement Requests area. From there users can vote on this feature. Then it will have a higher chance of being implemented
  • Options
    michael_stallsmichael_stalls Member Posts: 59 PRO
    yep me too! custom materials and densities shouldn't be too difficult to implement and lack of it is becoming a bigger issue for me.