Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Mirror of sheet metal part

konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
I noticed that I can't make a mirror of sheet metal part, is it not yet implemented?

Comments

• Options
    paul_chastellpaul_chastell Onshape Employees Posts: 124
    Not yet. Currently if you use "Finish sheet metal model" then you will be able to mirror the bent sheet metal (and do anything else you would do with a part). In later releases we plan on supporting more features that accept sheet metal but don't change it.
    Paul Chastell
    TVP, Onshape R&D
  • Options
    carl_von_ayrescarl_von_ayres Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Hi,

You can mirror or pattern a sheet metal part after you add a 'finish sheet metal model' feature [as this converts the sheet metal to a normal part].

The only downside is you don't get the mirrored part in the flat pattern or table, you also get different behavoir for the move face command [and maybe some other] before and after the finish feature is added.
  • Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 696
    @konstantin_shiriazdanov
     Thank you for using Onshape sheet metal. Support of mirror and pattern for active sheet metal model ( before Finish) is high on our list of improvements. Please submit an improvement request - it would help us prioritize it.
  • Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, thanks to all. Now I found that mate connectors behave the same way, and sheet metal part must be finished to allow to add the mate connector. So I propose to make a special icon for the part of sheet metal in the part studio that indicates if the part is not finished
  • Options
    RT_AXIOMRT_AXIOM Member Posts: 18 PRO
    I hope this is improved soon.  Not having features shown in flat pattern after mirroring on a sheet metal part doesnt make sense to me.   I don't see the purpose of having a finish sheet metal button?
  • Options
    tracy_flemingtracy_fleming Member Posts: 4 EDU
    I'm surprised that the community hasn't added a lot more heat to these feature requests around active sheet metal parts having more options for manipulation without finishing them. This creates a stream of work arounds that are forced on the users of Onshape because the work of providing the features in the application was put off. It seems to me that the Onshape developers have coded themselves into a corner which makes providing extra functionality to things like active sheet metal parts much more complicated after the fact. Unfortunately it seems that this is what the Onshape developers have done to themselves, and hence we users pay the price downstream. Not doing it forces we users into the same bad practice of using work arounds which then hems us in later on in model development.  :(
  • Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭
    I'm confused by the questions and answers here!
    Been using mirror of sheet metal parts for some time now. No need to use finish SM part unless needed for some other purpose.
    Samples here show 2 versions of mirrored SM parts. One uses a gap that gets 2 parts and shows that way in table. The other uses the end of original part for mirror plane with add function to get 1 part.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/85f222d440a7235f5b7aff34/w/7f53e4cd944f6ebbe990303a/e/aa5536cdb040da9e868898a3

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Yea this is an old post. I've been mirroring sheetmetal for years