Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Using brand names and logos.

dannyidannyi Member Posts: 43
I'm working on a scale model tire and wanted to use the original script and logo. Is there a way to import, sketch and extrude the script and logo so it can be added to the sidewall as a raised feature?

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Sure :-)

Workflow:-

(1) Import image to document using "+" icon in bottom left of screen.
    (2) Create sketch where you need it.
    (3) insert the uploaded image into the sketch (icon in the sketch toolbar).
    (4) "Use" or trace what you need.
    (5) Extrude.

Cheers,
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Additionally, if you have a dxf of the logo (or a svg converted into dxf https://cloudconvert.com/svg-to-dxf ) you can import this directly into a sketch and extrude that itself
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • dannyidannyi Member Posts: 43
    Thank you Owen and Jake, really appreciate the information.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    As tire sidewall tends to be slightly curved, I suppose you can sketch it into new plane away from tire wall and use new 'up to face with offset' feature to make also text curve.
    //rami
    3dcad said:
    As tire sidewall tends to be slightly curved, I suppose you can sketch it into new plane away from tire wall and use new 'up to face with offset' feature to make also text curve.
    Thanks 3dcad, that part I have done before using the limited font selection. I need to get the script and logo of lets say Goodyear w/the winged shoe, Firestone w/the shield, etc...
  • Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    3dcad said:
    When I do text on a curve I normally do the plane thing and extrude to next, then do a revolve cut to get the text to have the same thickness.

quick and dirty example.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/58a2210d6e328e0f6f2fc429/v/aeb4449a5af41cf33437b9d6/e/d7e663d158cc78b906357804
    Thanks fellas for the info, but this is what I'm after...
    ....I need to get this on the side of the tire and slightly raised. I believe a dxf file is needed but I'm having trouble converting a png from the internet to a dxf. I have Inkscape and tried there but still having trouble. Not very versed in this category so it's been shooting in the dark type of thing. I'm sure there's a way to do it just haven't figured it out yet! Wish there was a button that said "convert to dxf", if there is one I haven't found that either..... 
    import that as image and simply trace lines with sketch tools - not the best but works and might be better than dxf for performance
    //rami
    ..tried that already, the tire being 1/25 scale made the sketch very jagged and choppy. Going to keep working the dxf, hopefully I can get it to work.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    @daniel_iacoangeli

Check out this video, it was one of the first things I saw when getting into onshape and it really sold me on the concept.
    It's taking an image of a chess set and building 3D parts from it.  The metods used would, I believe, suit you well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJzFcOm_8TQ

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Thanks Owen for the link, I watched that same video when searching for info. I think why it didn't work out for me when I originally tried it was the image was too small. I'm going to try tracing it again with the image as large as I can get it, then scale it down. That may yield better results.  
    why not just create skecth in original image scale and after finished scale it bigger?
    //rami
    hmmm, not sure I follow you. The image imported about the size of the Goodyear image in the post. When I expand it to enlarge the image for tracing it gets increasingly blurry, to the point the edges are barely defined. 
    ah, image seems to be too small to be able to trace the edges.. I suppose you need bigger image, it is not easy to enlarge image like that without losing details..
    //rami
    Well I finally made a dxf of Goodyear on Inkscape. Imported it to the sketch and of course it doesn't work. I'm trying so hard not to get frustrated, but this is crazy. I have no less then 10 hours in this. Inkscape has 314 icons to choose from with 234 dropdown windows requiring multiple boxes to check. I know I'm not the brightest bulb in the lamp but for the sake of sanity why in this age of technology does this simple task have to be so difficult. I don't want to give up but I've wasted so much time on this. Is there anyone out there that is willing to do this for me?  
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Thank you Jake, very nice. When I tried the trace it looked awful. I suppose I need to be more patient with all this. 
    edited February 2017
    No problem Daniel!

I had to find a different image for the logo b/c the first one you posted was a little small/blurry.  The second one I found was larger but already had some built in jagginess, so there were some tradeoffs. I did a trace of a knife as a 3D print for a gift a few weeks ago so I had a little practice with it:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ec4d9c75a4f6b2b6741f2799/w/790919b65a6679b9e59ec03e/e/2a1630ebfa945ac5703a4289

If you have any trouble scaling the logo and getting it onto your part let us know.  The measure distance FeatureScript along with some variables may be helpful to have the scaling defined parametrically (like I've done for the knife)