Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Rectangle Tool - what construction geometry should Onshape provide?

andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2015 in Product Feedback
I was disappointed "back in the day" when Solidworks chose to add diagonal construction lines as an option. Of the three possibilities I can think of, it's the least useful.

One of the other two possibilities has recently been added to Sldwks (about a decade late, to my way of thinking): a full width construction line in conjunction with a full height one.

I would personally prefer (in most cases) a half-height line meeting a half-width one at the geometrical centre of the rectangle. I don't think I would ever have a use for the diagonal style. 

The same options should be available for round-cornered rectangles when they put in an appearance (nudge, nudge !) and obround slots. I reckon. :smile: 

Comments

• Options
    aaron_digullaaaron_digulla Member Posts: 8
    I'm missing an "angle" tool where I can select two lines and specify the angle between them, for example when I need to put two columns near a corner and I want to place them at 22.5° and 90°-22.5° and a certain distance to the corner.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @aaron_digulla  Just select dimension tool and select lines which are not in same angle and you will see angular dimensioning.

//rami
  • Options
    @3dcad Damn :smile: I'm still not 100% in the "Onshape has one tool for everything" mindset. Makes sense that the dimension tool can also measure/set angles. My guess is that this is triggered when the lines intersect? Or when they are not parallel?

• Options
    @aaron_digulla When they are not paraller, they don't need to intersect.
    //rami
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahem .... anyone have any thoughts on the question in the original post? 
  • Options
    traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    I have always used a single construction line on the midpoints of two opposite sides, using the midpoint of the construction line to center the rectangle. I don't feel the need for Onshape to provide any rectangle construction geometry, it takes me less than a couple seconds to add when I need it.
  • Options
    It feels a bit odd though that I can use the center of a circle as a construction point but not the center of a rectangle.

I understand that the center of a rectangle isn't a point that you clicked (unlike the circle) but the center of a line is also implicit.
  • Options
    It feels a bit odd though that I can use the center of a circle as a construction point but not the center of a rectangle.

I understand that the center of a rectangle isn't a point that you clicked (unlike the circle) but the center of a line is also implicit.
    You can use center of a rectangle if you create rectangle by center point, not by two corners.
    //rami