Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Chamfer transition two planes

george_3george_3 Member Posts: 8
I'm trying to finalize a part and have run into a scenario that is giving me problems.  I've attached two screenshots, in the screenshot with red circle you can see the chamfer terminates and it's not pretty.  I'd like to transition the chamfer around the whole that is on a feature that is at a different angle.  I also attached a screenshot without the chamfer.  I've played with trying to create surfaces that I could extrude to but haven't gotten the result I'm looking for (admittedly novice with surfacing).  Any ideas?  Thanx in advance.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    I believe that some direct editing operations such as move face or replace face could solve this problem. Try replace surface and select the flat face which contains the holes as surface to replace and then select chamfer surface for surface to replace with. If it doesn't work please share the document link. Let's have a look at it.
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I created similar geometry and get the same result.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/06f3b613b2ef001e75a6687c/w/cc94c3dceffe5ce3fe0c89a3/e/d32726a64ee973243307853a

Not sure if this what you are after but by performing a split face and move I achieved this. 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Thanks!!  Yes that gave me a clean surface at that juncture.  I also need to chamfer the edge on the upper portion which gives me a result that isn't quite what I want.  Any ideas how to make the upper chamfer look better?  In attached screenshot I marked where chamfer lower edge is.  If I could somehow just make that lower edge of chamfer be where the two features meet that would be ideal.  Just sketch it as a revolve cut? Guess I would have to raise the height of upper feature.  Thanks for the help, I have so much too learn  :#.
  • Options
    Just wanted to say thanks again shashank and bruce.  Suggestions worked perfectly in print last night.  Moving on to cam.  THANKS!