Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Piping with standard parts

3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
edited February 2017 in Using Onshape
How would you guys go about creating standard library for pipes, curves, cross sections etc. (sorry about my bad english on terms)?

I don't mean modeling but rather folder / library structure to be light and most usable for assemblies.

- Pipes would be 2 meter long with dia 80, 100, 120, 125, 140, 150, 160, 180 .. 900mm 
- Curves 90deg, 60deg, 45deg, 30deg - dia 80-200mm. Segment curves dia 225-900mm
- Convert dia to dia (shrink)
- Ramification (? google translate) one goes straight in - another in 30 or 45deg - single output (see picture below) - a lot of different dia combinations
- Specials

I would use library to create dust extraction line assemblies which are inserted into massive 3d layout - so it needs to be as light as possible but I wan't to use standard parts so I can create shopping list if needed.  

I was thinking to create just surfaces since outer diameter is redundant information. Pipes would easily grow from single sketch, copy&scale would probably work with some parts..

I don't have urgent problem to solve here - mainly I wanted to start discussion on efficiently creating the most useful library which could be shared (by manufacturer?) among community and would be easy to understand and use. 
//rami
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Feature script functions would probably ease up creating such library but as I don't currently have enough time to learn how to build my own scripts I will go with default features.. 
    //rami
  • Options
    First impression using surfaces seems great. All pipes created with single feature:

//rami
  • Options
    Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    Since we had our parts in out library all ready drawn each of ours are an individual part and in one document. 

We just did a detailed name so searching is pretty quick.

I just link these into my files as needed.   As far as the pipe itself I just create that using the in-context tool. 

• Options
    That is big bunch of studios.. This almost triggers me to try to create feature script, can someone push me into right direction?

Construct is very simple D=diameter A=angle and Radius is 1,5 x D

And what I need is generator which inputs are D and A and result is new surface like the one in image
    //rami
  • Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,175
    In the absence of configurations, I'd say a custom feature is the way to go: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a0096c22cc303fbb32974eff/w/db2f001f6f5b2905ee9eeb25/e/9f925a0e2a39ed9e1cbf7b95
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    @ilya_baran
    I think you are right. So we need to fix one of these problems:
    - Onshape needs configrations
    - Rami needs to learn how to create feature script features in no time

Which task do you think is easier to perform?

ps. Did you make the doc public? (Failed to load document for workspace. Resource does not exist, or you do not have permission to access it.)
    //rami
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @3dcad
    I have made these pipes going into each other since the release of rolled sheet metal 
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7db8c8582a4fea19a4a8d1e5/w/285054f025f37909807da43a/e/355dd1cf08dd833507b1ae53
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100