Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Text Orientation on Bottom surface

ryan_plaistedryan_plaisted Member Posts: 1
edited February 2017 in Community Support
There is no good solution to this problem posted on these discussion forums.  It is very easy to rotate text, but that doesn't help when you need to flip it as well.

When a text box is placed on the bottom surface of an object, the text is both upside down and mirror image.  Rotating alone doesn't resolve this, please don't suggest "Transform" function.  

Answers

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Is the face you are trying to sketch on a planar face? If so just select that face as the sketch plane (instead of a default or construction plane) and everything should come out right-side-up and forwards.

If not post a link to your document and we can help you set up a good coordinate system (via mate connector) for a construction plane to sketch on.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • aaron_rhodesaaron_rhodes Member Posts: 4 PRO
    Hi Jake, can you post description on how to set up a coordinate system using a mate connector to solve this reverse text problem?
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi Aaron,

My answer was a little premature.  There is currently no built-in way to make a sketch plane from a mate connector.  To remedy this, I have written a custom feature to do this:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a592864210155cd157330f98/w/a67310bc6aa8b8076cb71bb8/e/45d9b9c74b5766bc386a9bb6

If you've never used a cutom feature before, please check out the "Start using custom features" video on this page:

https://www.onshape.com/featurescript

With this custom feature you can now do the following:

1) Set up a mate connector
    2) Use the "Plane from mate connector" custom feature to make a plane on the mate connector
    3) Use the new plane as your sketch plane!

Let me know if this works for you :)
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hi @Jake_Rosenfeld, the problem with custom plane by mate connector features is that when sketch is created on that plane it's coordinate system is still inherited from the global coord.sys. I actually tried to modify original sketch feature it to handle creation of sketches based on mate connector itself (and inheriting it's coordinate system, not global). Here is the thread I rised to discuss this https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/6488/ability-to-select-sketch-coordinate-system-when-creating#latest

Thanks Konstantin,

Yes unfortunately the opPlane call in my feature will realign the plane canonically to the global coordinate system. I've put the issue on our radar.  For now at least this issue (of sketch text reversal) can be solved by using the mate connector and then rotating the sketch text as desired.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 2,005
    @ryan_plaisted We do have an improvement for this.  
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.