Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Large Model Size and 3D Printer Capability vs SolidWorks

thomas_50thomas_50 Member Posts: 1
I used SolidWorks to create a 3D printer file for a bio-filter startup. The SolidWorks part file was over 450 MB, and the STL file was over 250 MB. Any command, even just zooming in and out, was extremely tedious and took several minutes. Basically, the model was well past SolidWorks' practical size limit. In speaking with the VAR, the problem is do to SolidWorks being only single threaded, unable to use the other 7 CPUs on my computer. Will using Onshape eliminate this problem? Also, it took severla hours to generate the STL file. Will generating the file be quicker, and can the 3D printer vendor easily access the file? 

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    henry_feldmanhenry_feldman Member Posts: 126 EDU
    I'll add that I have a part studio I am working on with 554 parts in one "thing" (I don't want to use the word assembly since it isn't an OnShape assembly) using heavy circular and linear patterns on a very complex spline surface (the part sort of looks like a porcupine if you will). It takes about 10 seconds to open the part studio, but flies after that (on my 2011 MacBook pro in safari or on a latest model 5K 27" iMac). To generate an STL takes a good 30+ seconds before it starts downloading. Surprisingly it actually generates a pretty small STL file (although this model is not polygon heavy as many of the parts are slab sided) but it did generate highly non-manifold geometry in the STL with almost 6000 intersecting triangles, which I reported as a bug and they are working on (easily repaired in Emendo or Netfabb).