Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Loft Cut guides question

george_3george_3 Member Posts: 8
I'm trying to transition one lofted cut profile to another along a curve and am having issues.  I've attached two pictures, in the first you can see the profiles I'm using.  The loft works but I end up with a straight cut line.  In the second picture you can see the arc I would like to use as a guide (orange).  Onshape will not generate the loft when I select the guide.  Any ideas?  Assume there is something wrong with the profiles.  Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 210
    Try using sweep instead. Here is a quick example:

Let me know if you need more help!

Jason
    Support & QA
  • george_3george_3 Member Posts: 8
    Jason thanks but the image is not displaying in your post.
    I posted GIFs, so your browser must not be able to display them.

Support & QA
    Thanks, guess my issue with sweep is it doesn't seem to support a beginning and end profile for a transition.  When I select a second profile it just uses the first one.  That is why I was trying loft.

I found this discussion via search

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/388/how-to-control-a-sweep-end-profile

Not sure replace face would help as I need it to gradually taper to the second sketch profile.
    Ahhh I see. Replace face won't be much help here.

Try adding another guide to your loft to keep it in line. Make sure to use the pierce constraint when making the guides!

Best,

Jason
    Support & QA
    Jason, thanks again and sorry for the 20 questions.  Not exactly a pro.  Can you elaborate on the pierce constraint for the guides or point me to a tutorial with relevant info.  
    edited March 2017
    In this document, I show what I think you're trying to do with Loft. I labeled my sketches to show my workflow while setting up the loft. I make a variable chamfer on the one side using a Loft and a Sweep on the other creating a constant size chamfer. In every one of the sketches, I pierced a similar vertex to what I would later use as my guideline.

Pierce isn't necessary for all projects, but its a great way to really pin down your lofts by making sure the sketch profile actually intersects the guide, as opposed to projecting the sketch to the guide. 
    Pierce in help 
    Loft in help

Good luck George!
    Support & QA