Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Upverter/Onshape workflow - versioning of imports

gillspicegillspice Member, Developers Posts: 2 PRO
I have been working on trying to nail down a good workflow to transition between Upverter ECAD designs and Onshape.  Where I am at now is that I can get a good export of the PCB from Upverter as a STEP file, I can import that into onshape and use features on the PCB to mate component models to the PCB and then use onshape to design enclosures, control panels etc.  The problem/question that I have is once I create a new version of the PCB and generate a new STEP, is there a good way to replace the existing imported model of the PCB with a new version, ideally while retaining assembly mates?

Comments

• Options
    Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 211
    We do not have a "replace" capability in assemblies yet.
    Support & QA
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,015 PRO
    Mating by coordinates, if you know where 0, 0, 0 is in both systems. They'll swap out. 

Just make sure your 0, 0, 0 (origin) in Upverter step file stays the same location. It probably does.

Mating by coordinates is a standard practice for 2nd level assembly constructs. You have many sub-assemblies that are mated to the root origin and then you move the part inside the 2nd level assembly to position the part. You're using the sub-assembly as a simple transform to position a part in the top assembly. This way you can drag anything into the top and it knows where to go. Stacking up the origins.

After all, that's all an assembly is right? Assemblies are just transformation stacks telling you where components go.

Another approach would be to use a mate connector. Position the mate connector correctly, then reimport your step file. You have to edit one feature and update the translate by mate connector feature. The key here is to use the origin of your step file. Your PCB will recreate the board and keep the origin in the same location. The PCB step will probably put the origin in bottom corner as most CAD systems work in positive coordinates. If you're a machinist, then you'll want the origin to be in the upper left. Any way, this can be handled with a little upfront organization.