Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Revision Individual Parts, not document as a whole.

owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
edited March 2017 in Product Feedback
I'm sure this request may be a duplicate, but a search didn't find anything similar so....

I'd really like revision control to be extended to individual parts not just to documents as a whole.

Current workflow
Assume a linked docs of library parts for example
Add new part to library
Now every doc linking to the library reports that it needs to be updated.

With individaul part revisions this would be gone.

Cheers, OwS
Business Systems and Configuration Controller
HWM-Water Ltd
Tagged:

Comments

• konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    basically it is about having access from the assembly tab to the multiple auto-updating workspaces of the part studio within the same project, or the other one. this requares to implement special type of workspace and user could select to create a global project branch, or branch which parts will be accessible to all workspaces of assembly tab. this mechanism of special branching would behave like part configurations. of course using auto-updating parts is across ideology of OS, and user can "shoot yourself in the foot".
    that what i think of this problem.

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @owen_sparks  I moved this from the improvement voting since this is a very wide request.  We are working on the notion of a part and all the process that is surrounded by it with variants, revisions and thoughts on how do you release a part from Onshape.  There will be many efforts to address this question.  
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi @lougallo

Will you OS chaps please make up your mind...
    Can you guys make an improvement request (on the right side of this page) rather than +1ing on this post? That way your votes will automatically be in our system.
    ;):p

Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @owen_sparks

@lougallo definitely outranks me about what belongs as an improvement request and what doesn't ;)
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team