Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Public API?

mcconnell113mcconnell113 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
just wondering if there is a public way to develop things in my spare time as add-ons to onshape?
John McConnell - Let's change things.
Saplingstore.com

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    I'm not really sure what I'd like from the API itself just yet but I do have a small idea that involves developing clean looking interface that matches the tone of onshape. The last thing I want to see is a cluster*uck plugin laying on top of something you guys have laid out in a very nice way. Could you give us a little insight on icon creation and perhaps a little sneak peak tutorial on how you go about icon creation, maybe a screen shot of onshape sharing different sizes in pixels for this logo or that logo. eyeballing things are great and all but if we want to see plugins that feel like they belong in onshape we need to know what we need to to in order to match the aestetic you have set. Not everyone is a designer. I hope this makes sense.
    Saplingstore.com
  • Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I said in another post "I can't wait to see the Onshape API"

I am sure it will be soon
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    I want model data so I can dabble with the idea of creating cam software
    Saplingstore.com
  • Options
    onshaperonshaper Member, Mentor Posts: 94 ✭✭✭
    Hey Lou,

Can we get an idea of what languages to brush up on to be prepared for an Onshape API launch?

Will developers have the ability to sell their software? I have some ideas, and I want to be as ready as possible when you guys announce.

Thanks
    Luke
  • Options
    Onshaper said:
    Hey Lou,

Can we get an idea of what languages to brush up on to be prepared for an Onshape API launch?

Will developers have the ability to sell their software? I have some ideas, and I want to be as ready as possible when you guys announce.

Thanks
    Luke
    An API would be a way for us to use data that isn't necessarily tied with a certain programming language. It's a way for software to talk to each other. You shouldn't need to brush up on anything certain.
    Saplingstore.com
  • Options
    Onshaper said:
    Hey Lou,

Thanks
    Luke
    An API would be a way for us to use data that isn't necessarily tied with a certain programming language. It's a way for software to talk to each other. You shouldn't need to brush up on anything certain.
    Yes, except, I assume Onshape is going to do cloud hosted applications, which means I'm anticipating having to conform to whatever programming language they are using. So I'm looking for a really basic idea of what they have planned, and what programming language would be good to be familiar with to be ready for API launch.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Also, I would like to be able to get sketch line data and constraint data.

Ideally; be able to get an array of all sketch components with their end point locations and constraints or DOF.
  • Options
    nicolas_7nicolas_7 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    lougallo said:
    Not quite yet @McConnell113 but hang in there.  We are packaging up documentation and expanded the API.  Once we are ready, we will let all of you know.  On another note, any thoughts or ideas you want to share?  Doesn't have to be specific product ideas but things you would be interested in accessing from the Onshape platform?
    I would gladly get into the UI, and let the user select surfaces or boundaries to guide toolpath computation in a CAM system (and of course observe changes to recompute when the guide has changed)
  • Options
    dave_cowdendave_cowden Member, Developers Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    Like many others, i'm a hacker and I would LOVE to see what the Onshape API looks like.  My interest is in building a platform that makes it easy for people to share designs, make minor modifications, and then get an object that can be 3d printed.

Is there any update on the API?