Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Architects using OnShape

nuri_millernuri_miller Member, Developers Posts: 1 PRO
We have been using OnShape for the past year with some success on our building design projects at our firm, CO Architects (http://coarchitects.com/). Because it's primarily an application for product design, the scale and complexity of an entire building can be a challenge but we've been able to apply it to some portions of our project scope. It would be great to know if there are any other architects in the OnShape community and hear about your experiences using OnShape for building design and construction. 

Answers

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I have used Onshape for couple building projects and I think it works good when using 3D mouse for navigation. What I did was 800m2 warehouse with all the constructions including pallet shelves and vertical storage device.

I had/have also official drawings on projects so I just modeled for myself.

If I had more time I would build parametric warehouse with all the details and part lists and commercialize it with simple pricing. World (at least Finland) needs more parametric design in simple buildings, it's totally unnecessary to begin every industrial building from scratch.

//rami
  • Options
    richard_zucalrichard_zucal Member Posts: 1 EDU
    Wow! It's great seeing professionals who use Onshape for Architecture. I am a high school CAD teacher; We usually use AutoCAD and then Revit in the classroom, but with COVID-19 we have had to switch to Onshape because cloudbased and works on Chromebooks. My CAD-2 students have been itching to do architecture since September. My degree and former career is mechanical engineering so I do the best I can with teaching architecture. I'm always trying to get better and was really worried that Onshape wouldn't do well with architecture.