Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Why can't I import a STL file?

StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
Started the import. Uploading.... never finishes, and any record of the import attempt is expunged from notifications record.

My expectations are that I should get a faceted BREP 3D solid model that can be manipulated in Onshape. 

Best Answer

• StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Here is what needs to be done to correct the problem....

Correct the Simplify3D messed up WinOS registry "Value name" entry: "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.stl\Content Type"

to: "simplify3d_stl/stl"

(Essentially, append "/stl" to the value in "Value data" )

Report Card:
    Simplify3D: F, No excuse for bad registry entry.
    Onshape: F, For failing to report back a meaningful error message to user when encountering a "Bad Request" file upload. 

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    edited March 2017
    The result will be a mesh that can be used as a reference (vertices only) - this can be used to create sketches or extrude up to vertex etc.

https://www.onshape.com/cad-blog/whats-new-in-onshapes-latest-update-09/15/2016

Is the STL file huge?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    Small file: 240 KB

Logged into Onshape again. Here is the Notification...

Unknown upload state
    Your upload of RING-SWG - RING.stl does not match any upload history from the current window. This can be caused when the page is refreshed during an upload or when viewing an upload from another browser window. Deleting this notification will not abort an upload that is still in progress.
    Created at 10:32 AM Today
    I'm not familiar with that message - can you log a ticket with support or share your STL file?
    It is not a big problem for me right now. It was something I was curious about and wanted to test.

There are hundreds of thousands of 3D printable objects out there that I might what to take advantage of (use for reference) for future Onshape design activity.

I have tried other STL files and got the same non result.

Note: This STL file was created in Onshape from an Onshape model.

By "log at ticket" do you mean use the "Report a bug" option?  Just reported the bug referencing this Question and provided a link to the STL file.    
    Here is the link for those reading this question post...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t1b444embuvh37r/RING-SWG - RING.stl?dl=0
    Created a new Onshape document.
    Tried again....

No go.

It works for you because to dwell in the presence of the Onshape gods.

Tried again with the import w/error option checked..... still a no go.

Note: Using Chrome browser. Haven't had issues importing DXF or Parasolid.
    I suggest you clear your browser cache and start again or try another device? 
    edited March 2017
    This is really strange....

Tried it on my Acer Laptop, rebooted cleared chrome browser cache and cookies, FAILED.
    Tried it my Mac using both Chrome and Safari (updated Chrome from 52.0.2924.87 to ...98) SUCCESS!
    On Acer laptop updated Chome from 52.0.2924.87 to ...98 FAILED.
    Renamed STL file to xxxxstl.txt, SUCCESS! on both laptop and desktop. 

Something is fishy with files with a "stl" extension. On the two computers that exhibit this behavior I have the application Simplify3D installed and  associated with ".stl" file extension. I do not see how this can be related to the problem. 

Uninstalled Simplify3D on Acer laptop, STL file import SUCCESS!

I have no idea what connection there is between having Simplify3D installed and associated to .stl file extension and not being able to upload/import STL files.  

Even if I change .stl file extension application association to Microsoft's 3D Builder application, the STL file will still not import. REALLY STRANGE!

Can somebody with Simplify3D installed reproduce this problem?
  • dean_mcgeedean_mcgee Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem.  On my desktop I can't upload an STL file.  Tried with Firefox, Chrome, and even MS Edge.  I renamed it .txt and it uploaded OK but it wasn't a mesh, just a bunch of characters.  I put it in my Google Drive and uploaded it with my ChromeBox and it worked just fine.  I haven't tried uninstalling Simplify3D.
  • jon_hirschtickjon_hirschtick Onshape Employees Posts: 91
    Worked for me, and I also have Simplify3D installed on my Macbook Pro (Chrome, OSX Sierra).
    Jon,

When you said it "worked for me", do you actually mean it worked for you on a machine running Windows10/Chrome? If not, I would appreciate it if you would try this on a Windows 10 machine you have Simplify3D installed on.

Since another person has experienced the same problem, it appears to be a issue with Onshape running in Chrome on the Windows (10) platform with Simplify3D installed.   

Stephen
  • alessandro_villaalessandro_villa Member Posts: 4
    Hi guys!

I have the same problem. I opened a ticket and Support Team replied that it's an issue due to Simplify3D.

Our servers are looking for bad requests and rejecting them. This is a security measure and since Simplify 3D was malforming their mimetype, it is causing this issue. They are aware of the problem.
    Search in your registry (regedit.exe) and look for simplify3d_stl and replace all strings to match application/vnd.ms-pkistl or even simplify3d_stl/stl. Then restart and try your upload. Let me know if this fixes the issue.

There is something unclear to me and I asked for a furhter clarification.
    Is there any braveheart among us?

Regards
    Alex
  • alessandro_villaalessandro_villa Member Posts: 4
    I just tried. It works!
    Answer ✓
    Here is what needs to be done to correct the problem....

Correct the Simplify3D messed up WinOS registry "Value name" entry: "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.stl\Content Type"

to: "simplify3d_stl/stl"

(Essentially, append "/stl" to the value in "Value data" )

Report Card:
    Simplify3D: F, No excuse for bad registry entry.
    Onshape: F, For failing to report back a meaningful error message to user when encountering a "Bad Request" file upload. 
  • benjamin_lakeitbenjamin_lakeit Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue, but not Simplify3D attached to STL. To add to the issue I cannot cancel the respective STL import and now all successive imports are pending until at some point in time the malfunctioning STL import is deleted from the cue. Since there is no import / upload manager functionality available where I could at least cancel the malfunctioning STL import I'm stuck right now and cannot proceed with my project for an undefined period in time. Rather annoying situation.