Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Using Sketch Templates

rex_hansonrex_hanson Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
I created a sketch of my glue joint shaper cutter. Now I want to import it into a model so I can extrude the cut on different edges of a rectangular section. How can I import this section without changing any of its dimensions, and then align it up with the parts so I can remove the material just like the shaper cutter will when I make the part in my shop?
Eventually I'd like to model all my different cutters and build a library that I can use when designing my woodworking projects. I don't want the profiles to change when I copy them into my model. I just want to move them around and place them either by lining things up or by specifying dimensions to key features.

Best Answer

Answers

• konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there is two ways - derive sketch from one part studio to another and position it by Transform with mate connectors, and create custom sketch generator with feature script
  • rex_hansonrex_hanson Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    I found some information on the transform, but I don't know how to create mate connectors. Can a mate connector have an offset? If you could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Thank you!
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    @rex_hanson I recently found that OS don't support sketches in transform (sorry) - so the new plan - create your cutter as a thin solid part, which are supported to transform freely. About mate connector settings - you can offset them by any axis, rotate and change primary/secondary axis. Here is some example - https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ff5125963699172d4d8491d2/w/c27e6445897d5d9dc95473ed/e/b1a40dbe14ce76f7c0589b99

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    You can also simply copy & paste into sketch and use sketch transform to position. Fast and easy, downside is that sketch will not remain linked to any 'library'.
    //rami
  • rex_hansonrex_hanson Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Transform lets me rotate to specified angles if I need to do that, but dimensioning between a feature in the existing sketch and the sketch I'm wanting to add isn't clear. My cobble solution is to zoom in really really close and then line up the features. I then zoom out and modify the transform to specify the offset. There has to be an easier way to place my sketch with a dimension or offset to an existing feature.