Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Modelling drafted sweep

rafael_amenrafael_amen Member Posts: 2
Hi!
I need to model a sweep with varying cross section, more specifically an adze handle.
I only find constant cross section sweeps. How can I do?
TIA,
Rafael

Best Answer

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Answer ✓
    This may not be the best answer but here it goes.

Sweeps will typically be a constant diameter along the path. Some programs may have a draft sweep, but I don't think it's ever come up for me to look for it.. :)

If you want to make it match an adze handle, you may want to try a loft with guided curves instead.

You will have to create a sketch plane at each significant cross-section and work your way up to the end.
    There is a feature script somewhere that lets you make an array of planes along a path.
    Then do a loft with guided curves.

Below I did a quick mock up of the concept with just the start and end planes and one guide spline, each end has a different size ellipse.
    This looks messy, but with enough massaging I'm sure you can get what you are looking for.

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Answer ✓
    This may not be the best answer but here it goes.

Sweeps will typically be a constant diameter along the path. Some programs may have a draft sweep, but I don't think it's ever come up for me to look for it.. :)

If you want to make it match an adze handle, you may want to try a loft with guided curves instead.

You will have to create a sketch plane at each significant cross-section and work your way up to the end.
    There is a feature script somewhere that lets you make an array of planes along a path.
    Then do a loft with guided curves.

Below I did a quick mock up of the concept with just the start and end planes and one guide spline, each end has a different size ellipse.
    This looks messy, but with enough massaging I'm sure you can get what you are looking for.

• Options
    sandy_koukersandy_kouker Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    Just to add value: If you need to hollow it, the only stock way I found: Offset that Loft, then Thicken the resulting surface.