Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Fix Parts In Assembly

GiladGilad Member Posts: 1
Hi

I got imported stp file of a bearing.
when it's translate to part studio, i get 11 different parts. they are not connected, but they float in the air.
I tried to put them in assembly and fix all the parts, and then us it as one part.
but when i put assembly with fix parts in a new assembly, all fix parts are moving free without relation to each other, and not as one part.
How can i fix the bearing, that it will behave as one part ?

Thanls Gilad
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Or if you wan't it to be just 1 part, use boolean.

To do this, select parts from part list, RMB click for menu - select boolean. It should open boolean dialog with the parts already in list and Union is default - this will combine multiple parts into one part.

imageimageimage
    //rami
  • Options
    shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    I suggest you can use group relationship to fix some parts. For example,when creating a ball bearing assembly, you can use group feature for all balls,so all balls can be moved together ,then give some constraints  among inner ring,outer ring and ball group.

2.PNG 188.8K
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Just a clarification of @3dcad 's excellent suggestion,  for those unfamiliar with Boolean Union to turn multiple solids into one solid body: it works only for parts which form a valid single solid, meaning one with no zero thickness geometry (eg if adjacent parts are only touching, they must touch along a face, not an edge or a point).

An example of a not-so-obvious consequence of this: if a ball bearing is modelled with the balls exactly coradial with the raceways, the balls will touch the raceways only along a single line, and a Union will not unite them.