Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can I call the OnShape CAD engine from a web application?

nvstartreknvstartrek Member Posts: 1
Hello,
     Does anyone know whether I can call OnShape from another web application to perform 3D transformations?

Thanks,
NV

Answers

• Options
    leon_pootleon_poot Member, Developers Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Correct me if I'm wrong, are you looking for the API? What kind of 3D transformations would you want to do?

I don't have much experience with Onshapes API, and I've only seen the connection between a Windows Application and Onshape, but I'd recommend you have a look at the API documentation and sample applications in the Developer Portal.

https://dev-portal.onshape.com/
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,015 PRO
    edited April 2017
    The API is mostly data query and returns information in your documents or other people's documents. To work on other people's stuff, you have to add it to the app store and get permission from other people. If all you're working on is your data, then you don't have to mess with the app store.

The API works using rest calls so its: a console, web site or other cloud curl call. To talk to OS servers, you'll have to use oauth2 and verify you're not evil.

The API can also fire off featurescripts, which in turn can perform your transformations.

After the transformation, then you can ask the API for something like give me some updated data.

So to answer your question, yes the API can perform transformations from a website.

It's a little bit of work to get a matrix transformation using OS, seems like there should be a javascript math library with some linear algebra extension that's not so round-about.

Not knowing what you're trying to do,