Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Need help mating

andrew_adrianandrew_adrian Member Posts: 2
I need help mating this sphere in between the high lighted area's. I'm making Ball Bearings as you can see.

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited April 2017
    If you modeled everything in position, in your part studio, use a group mate.

if you want the inside race, outside race, and balls to rotate independently for realism sake read below this line:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (I don't recommend unless your playing around, or trying to learn)

in your part studio:
    add a mate connector to the front face of the race, and make it's OWNER the keeper ring.

in your assembly:
    1 fix the outside race in the assembly
    2 add a revolute mate to the flat face of the inner race to the flat face of the outer race
    3 add a group mate and select  the ball and keeper ring
    4 add a revolute mate using your (mate connector of the keeper ring) and the flat face of either race
    5 make a circle pattern of your balls using either bearing race as your axis
    6 use gear relation and select your inner race revolute mate and your keeper plate revolute mate, and set up it's ratio

again this is a lot of wasted effort unless you want to see a working bearing to play around with...

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/17ed8cc618a401e2c2675331/w/e891548b7dbb0c5c203b7cef/e/ced12697feb16c22c12158ea
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited April 2017
    Nice explanation @john_mcclary

I know we have "Model Of The Month" but can I vote for this as "Thread Title Of The Month"?

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • leon_pootleon_poot Member, Developers Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
    @owen_sparks You beat me to it, definitely sense a nomination for @andrew_adrian coming up for the 2017 Onshape Awards :smiley:
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless