Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Custom Properties in Drawings possible

florianflorian Member, OS Professional Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
edited April 2017 in Drawings
Good morning!

I created a company custom drawing property: "Approved by User".

Is there any way to insert any custom properties in a drawing as a field? I would like to update all my drawing templates with this and other new features.

Regards,
Florian

FYI: There also is a bug report on this and @lougallo is helping me out – hopefully.

Comments

• bobminerbobminer Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 50
    Hi Florian.

Yes, that should be possible.  These steps should work:
    - Create the custom property for your company on either drawings or parts or assemblies or some combination.
    - In a document owned by your company, open a drawing tab.
    - Edit a note anywhere in your drawing and you'll see 2 dropdowns in the middle of the bottom row of the note toolbar.
    - The left button is drawing properties (properties of the drawing tab).
    - The right button is the properties of the "reference" or "sheet reference" of your drawing sheet.  A "sheet reference" is the part or assembly shown in the views on that sheet of your drawing.  So if you are showing views of "Part 1" on your sheet, then your sheet reference would be that Part 1. You can see the sheet reference by looking at the sheet properties (right mouse click on the sheet background and choose "Sheet properties...").
    - Click on one of these two dropdown buttons - whichever one you want for your custom property - and then choose your custom property.
    - Click on the green checkmark button to stop editing the note.

That should put the field for that custom property in the note.  If the custom property has a value, it should appear immediately.  If not, you would go set the property on the part, assembly or drawing and then come back to the drawing and update it.

Thanks -Bob
    Bob Miner - Software Engineer / Dev Leader - Drawings - Onshape, Inc.

• florianflorian Member, OS Professional Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    That should put the field for that custom property in the note.  If the custom property has a value, it should appear immediately.  If not, you would go set the property on the part, assembly or drawing and then come back to the drawing and update it.
    @bobminer

OK That is exactly what I expected. But they do not show up. I do not have them in the List.
  • florianflorian Member, OS Professional Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    @bobminer

Oh my… I can scroll that field :smile: my bad. It works flawlessly. Just that the UI does not hint to be sc@bobminer

Solved :wink:

• bobminerbobminer Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 50
    We're working to make the UI for fields like this a bit clearer.  Right now there is no way to know the name of the property for a field.  We're working on a fix for this.
    Bob Miner - Software Engineer / Dev Leader - Drawings - Onshape, Inc.

• michael_khachiki079michael_khachiki079 Member Posts: 1
    bobminer, is there a process that needs to be followed before fields are refreshed? I have used Product Line field from a part in a drawing, however it does not show the value of the field on the drawing. Any hints? 
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 519
    @michael_khachiki079 I would check to make sure your drawing sheet is not referencing an entire part studio, but instead is referencing a part.  If it is referencing a part studio, you can right click on that reference in the sheets panel and choose "Replace..." and pick a part instead of a part studio.  You could make sure your document is public and paste the URL for it here if you want the community to help in a more hands on way.