Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

SM creating ugly geometry

Ben_MisegadesBen_Misegades Member Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
I understand that SM within OS is still somewhat in its infancy and that additions are coming *soon* but I want to point out some issues that are really frustrating. I'd love to share my document, but since it's for a customer I'm only going to be able to post close-up screenshots.

Unnecessary corner treatments. Particularly the corner on the left, there is no reason for any kind of relief there, and yet OS insists on adding one. I'm not sure that there is a way for me to get rid of it, either.

Some kind of weird protrusion at the end of the bend region. Don't know why OS would want this to be added.

These are two sheetmetal pieces created in the same feature. However, OS doesn't seem to have sufficient recognition of SM parts to prevent material overlap. I can understand if the two pieces were created in separate features, but if they're made with the same one, I would hope that OS would be smart enough to not overlap SM parts.

I implore OS to improve on this kind of stuff, and soon!

Comments

• Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 696
    @Ben_Misegades
    Thank you for bringing up these issues. If you run into something similar in the documents you can share with Onshape support, please do. That would help a lot.
  • Options
    Thank you @lana I've gone ahead and shared the documents with support
  • Options
    @Ben_Misegades
    I appreciate that. I was not able to reproduce some of the issues on my own. 
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    @Ben_Misegades

I know your pain, sometimes it's just wonky

I end up adding many "Move Face" features in order to get the shape i wanted, (this is just one flange feature in SW by the way)

• Options
    Yes, coming from a SM heavy Solidworks background myself, I know exactly what you mean.

The thing that makes this even more frustrating at times is that on top of it all, I'm encountering areas where the "move face" command doesn't work at all, it just fails.

All that being said, all of these issues are known to Onshape staff and they're working on it.  :)
  • Options
    Yes, that's why I have so many move faces, Because the move face fails because of this small area i marked below.

That's what the first photo way, my work around. So I had to pre-move face to give enough room to add the flange, at which point I snaped photo 1, then I could move the face of the flange outwards in both directions, then move the first faces back down.

here is the failing move faces if I suppress my work around "Move face 10"

Yea, I know OS is working on it, but sheet metal is our bread and butter. I can't make the switch until this is "good enough" for "real work".

until then I like the direction OS is going and I have High hopes

• Options
    @john_mcclary
    Thank you for further examples. If you feel that bend reliefs are being added too aggressively, you can set Sheet metal model bend relief type to Tear. and then use the Bend relief feature to specify the relief explicitly.

• Options
    @lana Thanks. That helped a lot for that particular part