Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Cadence Allegro Step File Import Problems - Unable to move or mate in assembly

randy_rosalesrandy_rosales Member Posts: 3
edited April 2017 in Community Support
Hi, 

Step files exported from Cadence Allegro PCB CAD (in AP-203 file mode) appear to import properly in OnShape. Model imports both as flattened model into Part Studio or as unflattened into multiple Part Studio and Assembly files. 

In either case (flattened part or auto-generated assembly) after I insert the part or assembly into another assembly file I can not manipulate the orientation of the part and mates to the part do not resolve. 

I see many other step file related forum questions. Does OnShape have any conclusive guide about which step file exports are supported and which ones are not? 

Thank you, 
Randy

Answers

• Options
    randy_rosalesrandy_rosales Member Posts: 3
    Nevermind! Easy fix. The auto-flattened assembly still doesn't work. But if I group all of the components in the auto generated assembly then things work exactly the way I want when importing that assembly into another assembly. 

Thanks!
    Randy
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,902 PRO
    edited April 2017
    Glad you figured out what you needed.

But a side note, Step is a neutral format. So it shouldn't matter what program you exported from originally.