Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

3d sketch

Tom_3Tom_3 Member Posts: 2
I'm new to onshape and I've been a solidworks user for 13 years, can you draw a 3d sketch in onshape?

Answers

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited May 2017
    Tom,

Currently we do not have a '3d sketch' feature, but (as of pretty recently) we have ways of defining curves in 3d space.  What is your specific use case for 3d sketching?  Here are some of our new curve features:

https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/projectedcurve.htm
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/bridgingcurve.htm

You can vote on this improvement request if your would like to see 3d sketching implemented in Onshape:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/18866#Comment_18866
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    I'm crossing my fingers for 3D spline with match tangency as the next feature in that stable o:)

OwS
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @owen_sparks, OS did recently add the Bridging Curve feature, which is just a 2-point spline with tangency matching.
  • Options
    mahir said:
    @owen_sparks, OS did recently add the Bridging Curve feature, which is just a 2-point spline with tangency matching.
    Exactly :)  I had a case the other day where I wanted the Bridging Curve through 3 points, so this seemed a logical progression of new functions.

Ended up with a very small straight line and a pair of 2 point bridging curves to get to the desired result, but one multipoint spline with match tangency on each end would be very welcome.

Cheers, Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    noanoa Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 141
    Noa Flaherty / Customer Success / Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    noa said:
    @owen_sparks check out the second video  ;)
     @noa

Awesome, you guys rock B):)

Really like that you can set the start directions of multiple curves off one line, that's clever.

Did I mention that I'd like a feature whereby with the click of an icon Daisy Ridley brings a tray with a glass of scotch and 6 gold bars on it?  If you could add that to the next update that'd be great.

Cheers,

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    noanoa Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 141
    @owen_sparks please submit an improvement request  :p

Noa Flaherty / Customer Success / Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    tom_worrell336tom_worrell336 Member Posts: 2 EDU
    Me here in 2022 still waiting for a 3D sketch @owen_sparks
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    Me here in 2022 still waiting for a 3D sketch @owen_sparks
    Wow, you've been a student for a long time :smiley: - nothing yet.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 804 PRO
    @tom_worrell336
    I used to love 3d sketches(in solid works).  I also hated how much I would feel frustrated by them when relations suddenly exploded into red for no reason.  I wanted them when migrating into onshape but I absolutely do not miss them.  It seems onshape has done a good job a maintaining a mode of operation where features are almost always able to reference edges straight off of existing geometry.  I have found it to be more intuitive to create simply construction geometry and then directly use the edges from that geometry.  Unless your using a 3d sketch to store a collection of edges that you convert off of existing geometry, in my experience, 3d sketches are sort of annoying to manage.  And if your using them to store converted edges, in onshape, you can just directly use those edges or use a composite curve feature to basically create a 3d curve representation of a set of edges.