Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Trying to make intersecting pipes filleted of fixed thickenss.

jrs_spedleyjrs_spedley Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
edited May 2017 in Community Support
I want a small diameter pipe to penetrate a large diameter pipe to form a T shape.  I want the joint filleted (internally) to improve fluid flow in the pipe but I also want a constant material thickness for casting.

I've tried using the fillet tool on solid parts but because of the curved path of the joint the thickness varies.
My next try was to model the internal surface and then thicken the part but I can't join the two pipe surfaces together so I can fillet the joint.

Is there a standard way of doing this sort of thing?  Is there any way of doing this?  My next try will be make the solid parts and then delete the external faces then fillet and thicken but it feels like a botch and I don't like botches.

Best Answers

• jrs_spedleyjrs_spedley Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    edited May 2017 Answer ✓
    Excellent idea, not only does it produce very good results but the sketches were much simpler and the flexibilty for design changes greatly increased.

Thanks!

(P.S. it is a heat exchanger)

Answers

That sounds like a champion idea, thanks Neil.
    edited May 2017 Answer ✓
    Excellent idea, not only does it produce very good results but the sketches were much simpler and the flexibilty for design changes greatly increased.

Thanks!

(P.S. it is a heat exchanger)