Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do I use construction lines across sketches?

gyrexgyrex Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
Hi everyone,

I'm completely new to CAD and require some help please. I'm trying to create a construction line which exists on a different sketch and use this line on another sketch (which happens to be on a different plane as well). Is this possible? I need to use this line in order to align entities on another sketch. Is this possible? Or is there a better way to achieve this?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

My drawing is here: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7acaac9aa46245186225afb6/w/239620736401d6f7997c98fb/e/be0be3939a5deeed67f257fd

Best Answer

Answers

• gyrexgyrex Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    Perfect! Exactly what I was looking for and spent hours trying to figure it out. Thanks for your help mate :)
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    No worries, could swear I put a link in to the help file though, sorry about that.

https://cad.onshape.com/help/#sketch-tools-use.htm%3FTocPath%3DPart%2520Studios%7CSketch%2520Tools%7C_____17

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    I'm new to CAD - never used it before so I wasn't really sure what I was looking for. Thanks again Owen :)
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Sure thing.  My unsolicited advice is sure, learn by using OS but also watch all the videos and definitely attend the free webinars.  You'll be amazed at the number of "easy ways to do things" that you'll see.  For my first few month I was getting things done, but looking back at the workflows I was making it more difficult than it could have been!

Cheers, Owen S. 
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    I must say that it's extremely powerful but also a lot easier to use than Fusion 360. I tried Fusion 360 but it was too complex for me. OS is miles better IMO!