Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Multi-tab workflow "update in progress" notification

billyzelsnackbillyzelsnack Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
edited May 2017 in Product Feedback
I typically do a lot of work across multiple tabs and when I make a change to one tab and flip back to another tab it often takes multiple tens of seconds for a change to propagate to my current tab. I think it would be cool if there was immediate visible notification that the system is busy working and that you should soon expect an update. I'm not suggesting changing the cursor to a spinner, but maybe animating the user icon for the tab that changed that will soon impact your current tab.
Tagged:

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @billyzelsnack I have not seen too many instances where the changes take long to show up.  Showing some notification or indicator seems like a fine idea but in most cases there is no delay.  I am not sure managing a realtime notification is necessary but would like to hear other accounts of this behavior.  I have moved this over to Product feedback to get more discussion on this.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • billyzelsnackbillyzelsnack Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    @lougallo

The delay itself is not really the underlying issue for me. It's just the lack of a system busy indicator in the current tab. I really like the multi-tab workflow to make a change where something is more accessible to edit but quickly switch to another tab to await the result. I find myself toggling back and forth waiting for the change to show up where I made the edit. When you stay in the tab where you made the edit you get the busy spinner so you know that the system is working for you. Switch to another tab and that busy feedback goes away. I toggle back and forth because it's not uncommon for an edit to not go as planned and I end up twiddling my thumbs waiting on the system that's already finished its work.

Put maybe more succinctly.. I think the same reasoning for a system busy indicator in one tab applies to any other tab where the system will soon make a change to.

• leon_pootleon_poot Member, Developers Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
    I have the same problem every now and then, where a merged context takes (too) long to update in another Part Studio. This only happens when I have a bunch of derived parts in one PS (done using Feature Script, not manually).
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless