Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

how to mark intersections from assembly to part

yamazaki_richardyamazaki_richard Member Posts: 3
edited May 2017 in Community Support
Hi I'm creating a box of sorts to house wiring https://cad.onshape.com/documents/fa18fb868771d72a4e185359/w/04b37138a3afba33db045276/e/b1b55f437273a31922cdeb53

Now where the lid and the box meet, there are two snap fittings, I would like to know how i can leave a mark on the box so that i can extrude remove a block so that the lid fits nice and clean, how can i do that?

Answers

• Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited May 2017
    You have 2 parts in an assembly. Do you want to design in an assembly? Make the cuts in an assembly?

The best way is to design both parts in a part studio and do your cut. Then add to an assembly.

To do cut in the assembly, set a position then use in-context.

Which is better? I like in-context.

One of the problems with in-context, it's harder to follow for the next guy working on your project. I use in-context sparingly and not sure your example is a good fit. I tend to try and keep things simple and in-context is not simple.