Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Cadence Allegro DXF Import

randy_rosalesrandy_rosales Member Posts: 3
Hi, 

I am running into a problem when importing a DXF which was exported from Cadence Allegro 17.2. The problem is that objects composed of arcs (LWPOLYLINE objects I believe) such as curved copper pours and trace etches are importing in as coarse line segments which approximate the arc. Fully circular objects, like vias, drills, circular BGA pads, import correctly, as do line segment based shapes. 

I have imported the same DXF into eDrawings 2017 and the curved copper pours resolve correctly. So I do not believe I am doing anything wrong with the DXF export options from Allegro. 

Is there something I can do from the Allegro DXF export options that might help. Is this a known limitation in OnShape? 

See below example pictures for each case.

Thank you, 
Randy

Original ECAD curved shape example

Imported DXF in OnShape

Imported DXF in eDrawings

Answers

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Have you tried importing into an Onshape sketch, I think you'll find the come in OK. It's just the approximation of the curves for viewing.

If you could do an ltscale command like in AutoCAD it would come good.  

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • mbattistellombattistello Member, Developers Posts: 51 ✭✭
    Randy, it looks like you are working on loading ECAD files into Onshape. You may want to check out the IDF importer app in the AppStore -  https://appstore.onshape.com/apps/ECAD/X62PLAGF6A56RBFVEJF6JSM4O2CEN5X4EUECEIQ=/description. You can export IDF files from Allegro and then this app will let you import the board and library files and then generate the board and map in an existing library of components. There is a free plan for 30 days that you can try out.

I know this wont directly address the issue you raised as the IDF files dont include things like the copper pours but if your ultimate goal is to get your board into Onshape it might do some of the heavy lifting. 

-Marc