Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

New part studio in assembly context + new sketch + extrude

alekesey_kalekesey_k Member Posts: 5
Newbie question:

I have an assembly with one part studio - a cylinder

Then I create a new part studio in context of the assembly and create a new sketch on the plane of the lower base of the cylinder. In the sketch  draw a rectangle around the cricle of the cylinder base and then close the sketch and extrude. I get a hole where the base of the cylinder is. I intend this as a base for an enclosing box for the cylinder so I don't whant the whole in there.

I can place the base of the box elsewhere so that it doesn't enclose the cylinder base of couse. But this is handy to have it all in place so that the box encloses the cylinder like it will in real life. Is there a way to achieve that without getting the whole when doing extrude? I thought of placing the rectange in the same plane but so that the cylinder base is outside of the rectangle, then doing exturde then moving the box base to where it should be touching the base of the cylidner, but maybe there's a better way.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• alekesey_kalekesey_k Member Posts: 5
    Answer ✓
    I just found that I can select both the surface between the rectangle and the circle and then the clircle (holding down Ctrl), this way extrude acts on the entire rectangle.

Answers

• alekesey_kalekesey_k Member Posts: 5
    Answer ✓
    I just found that I can select both the surface between the rectangle and the circle and then the clircle (holding down Ctrl), this way extrude acts on the entire rectangle.
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @alekesey_k

Nice job figuring out your problem! You shouldn't need to hold down Ctrl to make multiple selections into the "profile" box of extrude.  It should just extrude all the faces you click.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team