Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

how to create countersink slot

How do we create a slot for countersink screw

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    thiagarajan_mookiahthiagarajan_mookiah Member Posts: 3
    Hi Mahir and Jake, thanks for your advise.

I was looking for a direct function in OnShape to make countersink slot.

Right now, I can do as Mahir suggested (manually calculate the chamfer value based on screw size), and familiar with the Hole function as Jake mentioned.

I'm attaching the snapshot of the trial of these tips.

Thanks guys.

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @thiagarajan_mookiah, if you use the hole feature, you can just link them together with an extruded cut that uses an intersection of the surfaces for the sketch. You would just need to locate the sketch on a plane that intersects one of the hole centers.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    Another option would be to create a hole at either end of the slot, cut the middle out (looking down the hole axes), then extrude the faces of the cutout chamfer "up to next"
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    John_GoddenJohn_Godden Member Posts: 1 EDU
    edited April 2023
    Documenting steps that I've found generally work for straight or curved slots.  I'm open to easier methods.

1) Define the slot path with a sketch line (not a construction line.)  It can also be a curve, though step 5 will fail if the radius is too small.

2) Add countersink holes at the slot ends.

3) Define a "curve point" plane at one slot end.

4) Sketch the countersink profile at the plane.

5) Finally, sweep the countersink profile along the slot path to remove it.