Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Check accuracy of part made from Solidworks Import

3DMaker3DMaker Member Posts: 4
Hello,

I am transferring some files from solidworks into onshape. I am remaking each one completely in onshape so that I will be able to edit them in the future in onshape. This is due to the fact that solidworks files imported into onshape do not have the entire feature tree as solidworks (sketches, extrusions, etc.).

My question is: how can I check how accurately I replicated the parts? Is there some sort of layover or subtraction technique in onshape which would tell me the specific differences in the two parts?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,015 PRO
    Ask'm about their volumes.

Since they're both parasolids, the difference will be zero. 

The trick is building in OS from dumb solids and not making references to the imported SW geometry.

Also, an understanding of analytic faces will help when building sketches in OS. Remember you can "use" edges to define sketch entities and then delete the "use" reference. ie.. if you use the edge of a cylinder in a sketch, it'll come in as a circle in the correct location & have the right diameter. Makes reverse engineering fast.

Rebuilding parametric models from dumb solids is quite easy and you can clean up poorly constructed parametric models.

Consider yourself lucky because you'll have some really well built geometry inside OS when done.

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    A boolean subtract (both ways) should create zero bodies. That would tell me that they are geometrically identical.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape