Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Merry Christmas!

billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO

Just paid $10 bucks to be the 1st kid on the block to get one.

2 lbs
16 gig ram
kickbutt cpu

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Wow - looks really nice and I bet it's a sweet machine.
    As a reminder for anyone wondering what affects (Onshape) performance, here is a link to a review of hardware factors.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7tICy_lmYhMczhpcko4T1NCMHdJNHR5di1ScWxjUDE1SHE4/view
    If you're not a 'reader', the best performance is achieved through a discrete (separate) graphics card.

:)  
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited June 2017
    Just got it. First kid on the block!

Yeah I know it's an over priced apple product, but.....

So how does it compare to the old 12" macbook?

To load this model shown above on my old macbook took 37 seconds. On the new one 25 seconds which surprised me thinking the internet was the slow factor when loading a model. Both old & new laptops used the same network connection.

As far as video is concerned, I can't say I see a difference. But hitting ctrl-d and looking at the interactive frame rate on both machines, the new one is 21 fps and the old is 10 fps. The new one seems smoother but the old one wasn't bad. Can't say either is bad.

The main reason for the upgrade was ram. Running a virtual environment for windows & solidworks, my old computer was complaining that 5gig wasn't enough for both windows & solidworks to run successfully. Now with this new macbook 12" (16 gig) every thing should be ok.

• Options
    bryan-

A few years ago some computer magazine ran computer tests to see which ran solidworks fastest. The imac won :).

• Options
    david_mcmahondavid_mcmahon Member Posts: 35 ✭✭✭

Would you run the OnShape compatibly test at the link below and post a screen capture of your performance results? I'm curious to see the new MacBook graphics performance.

https://cad.onshape.com/check

• Options
    edited June 2017
    new 12" macbook:

old 12" macbook:

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Hmmm

thoughts?

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 519
    Discussion here might be pertinent:  https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/24428
  • Options
    ethan_1ethan_1 Member Posts: 17 EDU
     B) 
  • Options
    How fast does it rotate? How fast does it zoom? There comes a time when fast enough is fast enough. The video only effects zooms & rotates. 

My old computer was fast enough but the lack of ram was killing me using a virtual environment. A laptop has to have 16 gig a ram, minimum. 

The keyboard now clicks. Yahoo!

Ethan you've got a kick butt computer.