Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

spaceclaim

walterwalter Member Posts: 41 EDU
how can one upload a spaceclaim file 

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    walterwalter Member Posts: 41 EDU
    thanks wade  new to the file formats , what is the best file format to change spaceclaim
    file to , that will work good in onshape?
  • Options
    cyclonewadecyclonewade OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 53 ✭✭✭
    Spaceclaim is built on ACIS kernel and Onshape is built on parasolid. I'd try one these formats first. 

Wade
    imagine.create.deliver
  • Options
    cyclonewadecyclonewade OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 53 ✭✭✭
    I'd suggest trying ACIS first (.sat). It is the kernel used by spaceclaim and therefore will incur less loss in translation, as a single hop from ACIS to Parasolid. Or, if their Parasolid export is better than our Acis import, Parasolid export from spaceclaim may work better. Anyone have specific experience of whether either is better?
    Chicken or the Egg?  I don't have specific experience but I agree with your thoughts. 
    imagine.create.deliver
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I've always got best results with step. While there has been no problems importing from Geomagic to Ons with ACIS format..

Recently tried to export parasolid from Ons to Keyshot and it failed to open, tried step and it was good.
    //rami
  • Options
    daryntaylordaryntaylor OS Professional Posts: 31 ✭✭
    Just out of interest, I tried uploading a file into OnS today that was originally modelled in Inventor, but then saved down to both parasolid and step formats. Both uploads worked, but after translation it seemed that the step file best managed to keep most of the original information intact, such as part names and colours.