Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape, CAD, maker project and design.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:

1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Onshape vs. Fusion360

azθræn_k129azθræn_k129 Posts: 19Member
Would those with experience tell me how Onshape and Fusion360 differ and compare to one another, other than the fact that Onshape is cloud based and Fusion is not.

Comments

• konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Posts: 215Member ✭✭✭
    If to speak abought solid body modeling, in context design, and sheet metal - onshape has more advanced capabilities (if i'm not mistaken fusion still hasn't public sheet metal features). From the other side fusion is all in one CAD/CAM/CAE software, has rather good surfacing features (free-form tool), mesh editing and better drawings. I would say that fusion has wide opportunities but onshape provides better in-depth capabilities/
  • michael3424michael3424 Posts: 389Member ✭✭✭
    I'm just a rank amateur, but Onshape seems much better organized to me and easier to use.  F360 seems like it is being developed sort of willy-nilly.

F360 does a pretty good job of CAM, though.
  • 3dcad3dcad Posts: 1,908Member, OS Professional, Mentor PRO
    I remember someone wrapping whole fusion project in one word that says it all: con-fusion 360 =)

I haven't dig deep enough to claim otherwise, if software doesn't feel good from the start it's like going for marathon with too small shoes (IMHO).
    //rami
  • azθræn_k129azθræn_k129 Posts: 19Member
    I like that conFusion 360
  • øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Posts: 234Member ✭✭✭
    I'm one of the guys that abandoned Onshape when they removed all privacy in their Free Plan, and am now using Fusion 360. I will say that both have their pros and cons.

Onshape has proper branching and merging, Fusion does not (they gave it a shot, but realized their implementation wasn't good enough).
    Fusion has much better surfacing capabilities (but in no way perfect).
    Fusion has nice free-form modeling with T-splines.
    Onshape is full cloud, Fusion is cloud storage. This is a double-edged sword, though. In cases of server issues you can still work in Fusion, not so with Onshape.
    Fusion allows storing a full copy of your design to local storage. This copy can then be sent to others, or as a backup.
    Onshape has full timeline preview (the "Final" tick box) when editing an older feature. I really miss that one in Fusion.
    Onshape has proper deriving of parts, in Fusion it is kinda possible to do it, but it is kludgy.
    Along the same lines is that the organization of bodies and components in Fusion is less intuitive.
    Fusion has built-in rendering which is reasonable good
    Fusion has 3D-splines (and 3D sketches) which can be manipulated with tangency handles, Onshape does not (at least I think not).

I haven't used the integrated analysis functions in Fusion 360, and also not any of the CAM stuff, but both of those requires 3rd-party apps in Onshape (which may or may not be integrated, it's been a long time since I checked which apps are available for Onshape).

The transition from Onshape to Fusion 360 did take me some time, and Onshape was my first foray into proper parametric CAD, but now that I'm well into it, I have no regrets. Onshape's no privacy policy (unless you go pro) is unacceptable, but at this point, even if Onshape had introduced a mid-tier subscription model (or re-introduced some privacy for the Free Plan), I would still stick with Fusion 360. My list above is obviously just a tiny glimpse into some of the differences between the two, and both a clearly capable systems. Functionality-wise you can do a lot more in Fusion 360, but Onshape is perhaps a bit more polished in what it can do.

One more thing, both have excellent support forums, where employees participate in solving both issues and modeling challenges, so that's a tie.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question!
  • paul_brittonpaul_britton Posts: 30Member ✭✭
    May also be of relevance..... Fusion 360 needs 64bit Windows..... Onshape doesn't
  • michał_1michał_1 Posts: 126Member, Developers ✭✭✭
    Fusion is more capable, at least in core modeling. It is "all in one" type of CAD. It's cheaper.
    Some examples from Fusion:

The problem with Fusion is a number of bugs. It's not suitable for large assemblies.

Onshape have cleaner UI and better UX in general. Collaboration is beyond what any competitor can offer. Implementation of new features takes into consideration most common workflows and tries to improve them, so it's not just a new tool but a whole workflow. FeatureScript can offer more than just API.
    It looks like Onshape devs have a much clearer vision of their product, at least when compared with Fusions development, which looks chaotic.

Honest advice, try both and you will know.

Thanks
  • walterwalter Posts: 34Member EDU
    have you tried

DesignSpark Mechanical, a Free 3D Modeler Derived from SpaceClaim

• juan_avilesjuan_aviles Posts: 78Member ✭✭
    When I first tried Fusion I hated it.  I found OnShape and decided it was going to be my new setup.  No CAM however was tough because not only does Fusion have CAM, it's some of the best CAM going.  We have abandoned GibbsCAM at work in favor of the free HSMXpress from Autodesk (which is the same CAM in Fusion).  At first I thought I could use OS for modeling and Fusion for machining, but the real benefit of Fusion is having it all in one place so I learned Fusion and now have no plans on going back.

I'm not sure why I stopped by here today...I never use OnShape anymore since the private documents were axed.  OnShape called me a few times and I kept telling them the same thing...if they can get Fusion CAM into OnShape, I'll take another look.  Until then I'll continue to use Fusion.