Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Assembly Imports as Parts Studo

bar_smithbar_smith Member Posts: 2
I have a Rhino model with 85 parts to it which I would like to work on in Onshape from now on.

When I import the model it imports correctly, but each part in the original assembly comes in as a part in a single Part Studio.

What I would like is to have a single Onshape assembly with each part in it's own part studio. Each element of the model is flat so if there is a way to generate a sketch from one face of the model in a new part studio that could be a solution also.

I understand that I will need to re-specify the constraints and mates of the model.

Thank you for your time

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    edited June 2017
    You have 4 options when importing whole projects (maybe more)

1) You can "Flatten" the import: This puts everything into a single part studio in assembly position.

2) If you do not "Flatten" the assembly on import: (This is what you did i assume), than you will get your assemblies as well as a Single part studio which holds all of your parts.

3) Manual import: (What you would most likely want to do in your case) Import each part separately. You can import more than one part at a time by "Shift" selecting multiple part files. Each will import to it's own part studio. But you will then need to create your Assemblies in OnShape that use your imported parts.

Option 3 doesn't allow you to import assemblies (you can but they won't link to your individual imported parts anyways) but if you only have a few assemblies this shouldn't be a problem.

4) Alternatively you may mix option 1 and 3.
    By this I mean import everything using option 3, EXCEPT your weldments. Import your weldments as "flattened" this will put all of the sub details in position within a single studio, from which you can "delete" the redundant parts. and quickly make a weldment assembly. (Not required, but it helps with part quantities) Or you can leave your weldment as a part studio and use it as is.