Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Threads on Shafts, Tolerances, Surface quality, Manufacturing definition, Assembly instructions

rene_crettolrene_crettol Member Posts: 1 PRO
Hi, i am working on industrial product design.

Threads and Tolerances are important to make CAD  work in the physical world.

The definition of how a precision surface is produced should be attached to CAD geometry. (surface roughness, precision, manufacturing method, hardness, adhesives, loctite, grease, oil... )

Assembly instructions like (adhesives, loctite, grease, oil... ) are also important.

A solution to the issues could be:
A surface attached to the solid with the size of the desired zone. The surface would have attributes (thread, precision fit, special surface treatment, lubrication, adhesives or comments).
These attributes could/should then be forwarded/accessed by the 2D Drawing, CAM,  or be used for the representation in the renderer.

You know sometimes i do concepts and have ideas and want to be able to attach it to a region or surface of the CAD. And later when generating drawings/production_data i want these ideas/intentions to be present and accessible. Whether i or a coworker is doing the drawings/manfacturing, the intend or idea does not get lost!

This functionality would make onshape deluxe for productivity!

THX for voting and implementing! 

*** The tool for holes is superb. ***

Tagged:

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @rene_crettol I moved this out of the improvement requests since you can only suggest one thing at a time.  Group suggestions like this we cannot really have for voting.  One feature per post.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.