Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

imported shelled item problems

michael_lacassemichael_lacasse Member Posts: 5
edited June 2017 in Community Support
so i imported a shelled solid from solidworks (saved as an iges) and it turns it into multiple surfaces. Am I doing something wrong?

Answers

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can, save the SW file to a different file type and import that. Try either parasolid or just importing the SW file directly. The translation may go smoother.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,419
    Yes IGES is notoriously bad. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    I will try.. stay posted
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    I've had good luck using parts that have been exported from Onshape in the STEP format.  In my case the exported parts are usually machined via CAM software. 
  • Options
    ok so it didnt work..... so i tried exporting from SW to iges then open that iges with SW and the model had all sorts of errors.  I might try and look at the solid model a bit more.
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try parasolid. Both Onshape and SolidWorks are based on the parasolid kernel (I think). So errors should be minimal.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,419
    @michael_lacasse please do not use IGES. It was discontinued in 1996. @mahir is right use Parasolid. If you use Parasolid there is NO translation so you get the exact geometry both ways. However if you're going from Onshape to SolidWorks set the Parasolid version to a lower number like 25. Onshape always uses the latest version of Parasolid - SolidWorks does not. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI