Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is there a way to create a different instance of a part in assembly mode

Hi I am using On-shape and wanted to ask this question about creating assemblies. I have imported a SW file and would like to use it at two places but with different parameters. Is it possible to do this ?

Answers

• lemon1324lemon1324 Member, Developers Posts: 223 EDU
    If you mean multiple configurations of a single part, then no.  There is an improvement request for configurations here that you can vote for.

In some cases you could do a workaround by making a copy of the part in the part studio and further modifying the copy.
    Arul Suresh
    PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @vishwarath_taduru -hello!

While we dont yet have assembly configurations, what you're asking to do is fairly easy.
    To use two different instances of an assembly in another assembly, all you need to do is make a copy of the sub assembly.
    Once you have an (unrelated) copy, you can simply make the changes you need and then insert both (different) instances into the top level assembly.
    To make a copy of an assembly, have a read of this -  https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/4044/how-to-copy-an-assembly-tab

I hope this helps :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape