Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Drawings from stl files

_Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
An Issue that I've been trying to find a solution for and hoping that Onshape will provide a solution is that after I perform one operation in my cam software I can verify and create an stl file of that operation from the initial stock.
 This operation may not be finish as per the drawing or original solid model. What I would like to do at this point is create a process drawing of the stl with dimensions for that operation. Therefore my question is that is this something that others would be interested in and will the upcoming drawings in Onshape be capable of dimensioning stl files.

Thanks
Dave
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd be moderately interested in this, but only for dimensioning STL files downloaded online, so for me it would be pretty far down the priority list.

Mike.  
  • Options
    kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Bit pointless if you ask me. A bounding box command and box edit as in Rhino would be far more relevant for mesh handling. 
  • Options
    Kevin Quigley Thanks, I don't understand what you mean by a bounding box command and I'm not familiar with Rhino could you please elaborate. I'm trying to make manufacturing process drawings for a CNC machine Shop and wish to avoid having to recreate models at the different stages of the process. My Cam software will create an stl file of the part at the different stages of the process but i can not dimension a stl in Solidworks. Converting stl to step would also solve my problem. I've seen that spaceclaim will do a very nice job of making drawings from step files and was hoping for the same functionality from the upcoming Onshape drawings.

Thanks
    Dave
  • Options
    burhopburhop Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Dave, the problem with STL is that it is just a faceted format.  For example, if you were to zoom in on a circle, you would really see a polygon. This is fine for CAM and additive manufacturing because the "error" is smaller than the accuracy of the machine.

However, mechanical CAD software and most CAD formats (like STEP) use precise representations. A circle is a circle and a circular cutout (hole) is perfectly round.  You can easily go from a precise format to an imprecise format but not the other way. Converting from STL to STEP is generally not possible (except in some special cases).

Spaceclaim and others have done a good job at bringing both precise and "faceted" formats together so that you can do some things like dimensions.  I expect folks like Onshape and others are thinking about this too. I'd kind of like it too given the 3D printing I'm doing.
  • Options
    @Burhop Thanks for the insight on the details of stl files. Converting to step appears to be quite an effort. but just dimensioning from the corners of the triangles should be relatively simple and that would be all that I need.
  • Options
    Bounding box is a command used in a lot of applications that either creates a box or gives back the dimensions of a box that encloses the shape you have selected. Ideal for checking the overall dimensions of something (as in x,y,z).

Box Edit in Rhino5 (and equivalent commands in FormZ and Modo for example) let you select an object and resize the xyz size and location just by typing in the values. This is extremely useful.
  • Options
    Converting from STL to STEP is easily done, but what the STep file is, is simply an exact replica of the stl triangles, so it is of limited use. The problem with applying dimensions to trianulated mesh parts is the snaps tend to be very hard to work with. Hence why overall bounding box tools work better.
  • Options
    burhopburhop Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    You (meaning CAD developers) can do useful things with the faceted geometry, like looking for sharp angles that often correlate to the edges, deriving circles when you find 30 side polygons, etc. That makes dimensioning easier.  Its just a matter of priorities from the CAD developers.

On going from STL to STEP, I should have been more clear. You are not going to get CAD friendly BREPs like Kevin Quigley  pointed out.