Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Breaking the Coincidence at the end of a Spline

mitchel_palmermitchel_palmer Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
Hey guys

i noticed that you can break the coincidence at the end of a spline by deleting it.

Once deleted, point can become separated if you select on and move it...

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    Hi Mitchel, can you please file a bug report using ? > Feedback. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    mitchel_palmermitchel_palmer Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    done :)
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    Hi @mitchel_palmer I've just had my knuckles rapped by development. This is not a bug - you learn something new every day.

When you delete the constraint at the end of the spline, you are effectively able to drag the end of the spline to trim it. Behind the scenes there are two splines, one is the spline defined by the interpolation conditions, the other is the trimmed spline that occupies a part of the overall spline. It’s analogous to a circle and an arc. Deleting the end constraint allows you to shorten the spline without changing its shape, which is effectively what trim does if you trim a spline back. We could recreate the spline on trim but that would be bad, from a regeneration/stability perspective.

Often, the coincident constraint that attaches the end of the spline to the next entity may be hidden by this constraint, so try dragging them out of the way to see if there is more than one. We are working on a better way to convey this graphically.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI