Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

conditional colors based on dimensions

luke_jaeger100luke_jaeger100 Member Posts: 30 EDU
I'm designing a tab-and-slot assembly to be laser-cut out of several different thicknesses of sheet material.
During the design phase I need to be able to change the thicknesses on the fly, so I've set up variables for the thickness dimensions.
Wouldn't it be awesome if the parts could have a color applied procedurally, based on their thickness? Then I could see at a glance which parts were made from which material.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @luke_jaeger100 although this is a neat idea, it is not a workflow that would be used my a vast majority of users.  With that being said, it seems you want to add some automation based on a set of rules.  For example like a rule that would state when any sheetmetal part has a thickness of X change the part(s) to this RGB.  thoughts?
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    lemon1324lemon1324 Member, Developers Posts: 223 EDU
    I know this can't be done with FeatureScript, but is the Onshape API set up in such a way that it would be possible to write this type of utility to run automatically on rebuilds?  If so I might take a look when I get a chance.
    Arul Suresh
    PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University
  • Options
    lougallo said:
    @luke_jaeger100 although this is a neat idea, it is not a workflow that would be used my a vast majority of users.  With that being said, it seems you want to add some automation based on a set of rules.  For example like a rule that would state when any sheetmetal part has a thickness of X change the part(s) to this RGB.  thoughts?
    That would be great, is it possible with current version?
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Forgive me butting in but I'd love to be able to set an RGB using featurescript.

Cheers, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Forgive me butting in but I'd love to be able to set an RGB using featurescript.

Cheers, Owen S.
    all is forgiven
  • Options
    PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 519
    IThen I could see at a glance which parts were made from which material.
    @luke_jaeger100 Can you tell us why this is important to you?  What would you be doing with this information?  
  • Options
    PeteYodis said:
    IThen I could see at a glance which parts were made from which material.
    @luke_jaeger100 Can you tell us why this is important to you?  What would you be doing with this information?  
    I'm making tab-and-slot 3D assemblies from laser-cut sheet material. They might be built from multiple types or thicknesses of material (eg 1/4" luan, 1/8" cardboard, etc). When it's time to send it to the laser cutter, I need to gang up all the parts of each thickness on the appropriate sheet(s).  I suppose the very best thing would be some kind of workflow to do this automatically, but conditional colors would at least make it easier to separate them by hand.
  • Options
    hans_van_de_burgthans_van_de_burgt Member Posts: 11 EDU
    Well I have the same issue. Now I exported my documents in DXF, and change the color of the lines in Autocad. I would be better if this could be possible in Onshape.
  • Options
    @luke_jaeger100 Are your purposes here solely for layout of cutting all the parts with your laser cutter, material estimation needs, or both?

• Options
  • Options
    PeteYodis said:
    @luke_jaeger100 Are your purposes here solely for layout of cutting all the parts with your laser cutter, material estimation needs, or both?

I was thinking ease of layout, but material estimation would be nice.