Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

how do i extrude remove the shape of a spanner to make eva trays ???

sean_managhsean_managh Member Posts: 7

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Hi Sean, you can use the Boolean subtract tool (with offset)
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • sean_managhsean_managh Member Posts: 7
    I there a video of this?
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    I there a video of this?
    It's not a video but the built in help is pretty comprehensive:-
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/#booleanparts.htm?Highlight=boolean

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • lemon1324lemon1324 Member, Developers Posts: 223 EDU
    I read this as "How do I do the subtract such that the cavity is extrudable/3D machinable," in which case the boolean wouldn't quite do it.

Only way I can think of to get that geometry is to start a sketch, then project edges, then extrude.
    Arul Suresh
    PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University
    thanks lemon 1324 only new at this :)  is there a way to cut around edge of spanner for say and scale it to the right size.  don't want draw tool to make trays?is there a YouTube  vid of this have done for trays take a longtime! thanks

i will #d printing this out B)
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Use Boolean if you want it to look like that, but you will also get the text on the spanner or the grooves on the screwdriver handle. Good CAD design requires patience! Wouldn't take you that long to sketch around each tool then pattern the results. 

A quick way to get a hard edge would be to use the split command and cut each tool in half. Then you can create a sketch and use offset to get the outline (or half outline if you want to revolve for screwdrivers. )
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI