Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can you model parts or assemblies in context of other assemblies?

james_frenchjames_french Member Posts: 4
Can you model parts or assemblies in context of other assemblies?  For example, make planes or dimensions for parts in relation to other parts in an existing assembly?

Answers

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    If you're creating parts that need to be updated I've found it best to create them in your top level assembly.

I create a lot of pipe and if I was to make a sub assembly with 2 fittings say with a slider mate and pipe between them the ICE looks at their position in the sub assembly, not the top assembly. 

I make my sub assembly with the fittings and mates only and then add my piping in last in the top level assembly. 
  • Options
    james_frenchjames_french Member Posts: 4
    So if you change the position of the fittings do you have to manually change the pipe lengths, or do the update with new lengths based on how they are defined in the assembly (say extrude up to surface of another part or linked to a sketch in the assembly).
  • Options
    Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    So if you change the position of the fittings do you have to manually change the pipe lengths, or do the update with new lengths based on how they are defined in the assembly (say extrude up to surface of another part or linked to a sketch in the assembly).
    If you create the ICE pipe in the top level assembly the only manually thing you'd need to is right click on the ICE part and select "update context"

Just make sure you never manually move the ICE part. Always move the part it's associated with and update the context.