Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Draft direction and Neutral Plane

andreas_scholzandreas_scholz Member Posts: 14
Hello to all,

I wanted to create a part which is 22° orientated to the draft direction. When I select  a neutral plane the draft will be done normal to that plane? What about the case I want to select a neutral surface that is not planar?

To make it a little bit more clear, please have a look at following simple example:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/b962676889c09f0d0bc6289d/w/51621f26a0d37db7347e9962/e/254f7c88e261e2fecd5ed4a1

It is only one feature of a small plastic part I wanted to create last week. As You see the part is extruded between to parallel planes with an angle of 22° degrees to the top plane. The part should have a draft of 0.5° normal to the top plane (see direction arrow) as main draft direction (there are additional features that call for this direction!) with the upper plane as neutral plane. I am not able to draft the part in Onshape in that manner.

What if the upper surface would not be planar and also should be the neutral surface for draft?

I am primarily working for automotive industry where draft directions are often set, and adjacent surfaces or parting (neutral) elements for drafts are non planar.

Thanks in advance for answering.

Regards

Andreas

Tagged:

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    I think a loft would work in that case.

Otherwise you could extrude a part in the draft direction (with draft angle)
    then use the planes to cut away the area above and below. Using split, then delete the leftovers
  • david_whitingtondavid_whitington Member Posts: 3 PRO
    What Andreas is describing is a standard feature in many CAD systems I have used in the past. It would be great if Onshape could separate the neutral plane from the draft direction.
    It was the most common method to make features in injection moulded components, especially since during the development phase you create geometry off of main surfaces (not necessarily in die direction), with 0 draft while planning out the part, then once you have locked down the overall design you start drafting the key features.
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    Yes, this is on our todo list.  In the meantime, the following discussion links to a custom feature can provide a workaround in some cases: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/33171/#Comment_33171

Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc