Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Changing a Part Destroys Mates

DevinDevin Member Posts: 4
So Im playing around with a new assembly which is basically four peices rail and a flat acrylic top. I used simple planar mates to separate the x rail and keep them in line. I created the acrylic top using in context editing. That all works great. Then I try to make one simple change to the x rail extending it from 12 inch to 16inch and almost every mate breaks. Even mates that used faces that weren't even changed. I feel like im missing something because it would be very unusually for CAD software to not allow you to edit parts. Here is a picture of my cad after broken mates.

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,415
    Hi @devin_willis - you should only use planar mates as a last resort. Also, how did you extend the beams? Please include a link to your doc.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI