Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Countersinks/Counterbore in sheet metal

aubrey_cousinaubrey_cousin Member Posts: 15 PRO
edited August 2017 in Community Support
I don't know about others but I mainly build sheet metal from the start. I try not to use the conversion. I am in fabrication so it only makes sense to me to do it this way.  Is there a reason that the holes become the size of the countersink/counterbore diameter in sheet metal?  I basically HAVE to use the conversion and utilize both design model and sheet metal part to show my countersinks/counterbores in drawings? I have to say I do not like this. Is there a way around this? Anyone?

Best Answers

• PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518
    edited August 2017 Answer ✓
    @aubrey_cousin We do not currently support non-uniform thickness type features in sheet metal just yet.  We know it's important.  You can currently place a "Finish sheet metal model" feature and then add a non-uniform thickness type feature on the geometry - but it won't be represented in the flat pattern view.  
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Answer ✓
    This is a problem for me too. I will like to have my counter sinks represented on the flat and also the thread call out detail on the drawing. I think I mentioned this in the release post after the hole feature first became available. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   

Answers

• PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518
    edited August 2017 Answer ✓
    @aubrey_cousin We do not currently support non-uniform thickness type features in sheet metal just yet.  We know it's important.  You can currently place a "Finish sheet metal model" feature and then add a non-uniform thickness type feature on the geometry - but it won't be represented in the flat pattern view.  
  • aubrey_cousinaubrey_cousin Member Posts: 15 PRO
    PeteYodis said:
    Ahhhhh. Okay thank you. Will they be represented in future flat patterns? That would definitely help because we countersink in the flat.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Answer ✓
    This is a problem for me too. I will like to have my counter sinks represented on the flat and also the thread call out detail on the drawing. I think I mentioned this in the release post after the hole feature first became available. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977