Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Modify imported STEP file

Hi,

This will be an easy question to answer for most of you, therefore, apologies in advance for taking your time.

I have imported a manufacturer product into my design,  The STEP file imports with no problem and the model looks exactly as I would like.

The problem is the model imports with an overall length of 1360mm but the physical part is adjustable up to 1960mm.  For my design I'd like the overall length to be 1800mm.  Can anyone, in easy to follow steps, guide me on how to modify the original STEP file to be a part with 1800mm length?

Scott

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,411
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    The quick answer is as follows;
    1) If this variance is caused by assembly position (eg open vs closed), then build an assembly out of your parts and add mates with limits (1360 to 1960).
    2) If your question relates to the 'size' of parts, then you will need 'Transform'. Select 'Scale' and the scale is 1800/1360.
    I hope this helps you.
    :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    walter_boydwalter_boyd Member Posts: 2
    1.  Make a rectangular cut in the middle of the cylinder to cut the part into two bodies.
    2.  Use 'move/copy bodies' to move one of the new halves a distance along the parts axis.
    3.  Extrude the cylinder profile to join the two halves.
    photo editor