Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Spur Gear with more than 250 teeth?

adamohernadamohern Member, OS Professional Posts: 216 PRO
@NeilCooke
@NeilCooke3D

I need to generate gears with more than 250 teeth. Why is there a limit on the spur gear FS? Can I disable it somehow?

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,376
    I don't know why? Let me take a look. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Apologies, I also don't fully understand how the math works. As you can see, large gears with small teeth seem to fall far inside the diameter. Why is that?

• Options
    Hmm - are you using the linked "official" feature or a copy of your own, because I changed the math a few months ago.

Also, it seems I put a teeth limit in there to stop people being "silly" without any scientific fact of how many people might need. What would you consider is a realistic upper bound if I still have one?
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Yeah I just tested a 250 tooth / module 0.1 and it looks fine in V2 of the official feature: 
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5742c8cde4b06c68b362d748/w/b493e0cb681bbf9497d9f4b3/e/c72760543a0d4412e72f6d38

(though I will probably make a V3 once you get back to me on tooth limits)
  • Options
    My current outermost gear needs around 600 teeth. I would ask the upper bound to be something like 1000 just to be safe.
  • Options
    OK done, please link to the latest version of the feature using the URL above.
  • Options
    The FS import system is pretty confusing, since there are so many "copy" versions out there floating around. I got what I thought was the official one, but apparently it wasn't. What's the protocol for importing the above such that it's always up-to-date?
  • Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @adamoher, just out of curiosity - are you modeling something like harmonic drive?
  • Options
    adamohern said:
    The FS import system is pretty confusing, since there are so many "copy" versions out there floating around. I got what I thought was the official one, but apparently it wasn't. What's the protocol for importing the above such that it's always up-to-date?
    Go to the + symbol top right then look in FeatureScript examples for spur gear v3. No need to copy unless you want to change it. 
  • Options
    No, just a vanilla motor driving a big wheel.
  • Options
    NeilCooke said:
    Go to the + symbol top right then look in FeatureScript examples for spur gear v3. No need to copy unless you want to change it. 
    There are way too many in the list. Is it just the one that has "v3" in gray under the title? There are dozens.
  • Options
    I only see one?

• Options
    I see. I'd been using the search function.