Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Working Remotely With Onshape

matt_kinsingtonmatt_kinsington Member Posts: 4
Hi all, first post here.

Wondering if anyone here has heard of the digital nomad lifestyle and if anyone's using Onshape while living and travelling abroad?

Is there much of a market for Onshape remote contractors?  Even if they work in another country and don't physically visit your premises?

Thanks
Matt

Comments

• emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @matt_kinsington I think that Onshape is the best CAD software for that

Due to their colaborative tools you can keep in touch with your actual customers and they did'nt even notice that you are travelling ;-)

Also, you can left your computer or laptop at home and use a computer of a new local customer or get a computer wherever you are.
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • matt_kinsingtonmatt_kinsington Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Eduardo,

I understand that (in theory) Onshape is a great platform for this.  I'm just wondering... is anybody actually doing this?  Are many people working remotely, in different cities or countries from their clients?  Or is most Onshape CAD work still done on site?

Seems in the MCAD world, you're almost always expected to be on site, handling the parts, making prototypes, be there for meetings, etc.  Which is what I want to get away from.

• emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    we do, we provide engineering services onsite and online
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 516
    @brucebartlett Can you speak to @matt_kinsington and his question here?  
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Hi Matt, Yes I traveled for 3 months around USA in an RV and regularly used Onshape for contract work, more travel than work but I still managed to do quite a few jobs while on the road. I had a cell with a data plan but I was chewing through it very quick, not just Onshape, maybe lose dropbox uploads/downloads was the biggest killer but I found it hard to keen cost down on the plan I was on and couldn't find a good short term plan with lot of data included so was always trying to find wi fi to connect to. Depending where you travel should be able to find wifi but much better if you can use a cell.

You could sign up with freelancer, or best to try a develop a niche list of customers you can do jobs for, you probably need more than just MCAD skill to get good paying Jobs. It is also hard to do MCAD without being onsite to check things off, talk to the right people at the right time, etc but defiantly is doable. Good Luck
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977